Super Lawyers
AILA badge
BACDL badge
FACDL badge
Federal Bar Association badge
Broward County bar association
Avvo Rating badge

Immigration Law

Statue of Liberty U.S. Fort Lauderdale Immigration lawyer and Citizenship attorney / firm Cohen Law is experienced in all facets of US Immigration Policy. When applying to become a citizen of the United State of America, one has to keep in mind that it is not an easy task. This freedom for an immigrant to become a citizen of the US is a privilege that would be difficult to achieve without the assistance of an experienced US immigration lawyer / attorney / firm. We provide translation of the complex US Immigration laws to your native language as well as explain the policies and common interpretation of the application of those laws. Our immigration lawyers in Florida are intimate with the laws regarding deportation or removal hearings, immigration bond hearings, applications for citizenship, applications for visas, as well as immigration concerns while applying with a prior criminal history.

If you are facing a criminal charge and you are a non-citizen or a visitor, there can be serious consequences to taking a plea deal. That is why it is important to contact us prior to taking a plea on a criminal case. We have been selected as a top criminal law firm in Fort Lauderdale. As such, our law firm can handle your immigration matter and criminal case giving you the proper advice on how to resolve your complicated legal issues.

An area of law often over looked by law firms that strictly do immigration is in regards to the S Visa. The S visa is issued to individuals who help US law enforcement in their investigation and prosecution of crimes such as money laundering and organized crime. It is also available in regards to information on terrorist crimes and activities. Call 1-888-COHENLAW or contact us to find out more immigration information regarding S-5 and S-6 visas.

The United States Immigration and Nationality lawyers at Cohen Law is principally located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, but we extend our services to the South Florida community, including Immigration matters in Miami-Dade, Broward and West Palm Beach counties. The firm represents individual clients, employers and corporate business entities in their US Immigration matters.

We pride ourselves on the representation of individuals for non-immigrant and immigrant visas also known as "Green Cards." When applying for a Green Card there are many roadblocks and legal obstacles that may stand in the way of you becoming a US Citizen. It is important for you to understand the differences between the two categories of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visas.

Non-immigrant visas are obtained at the US consulate in your country of origin, and allow you to live and/or work in the US for a limited period of time, depending on the type of visa. Common non-immigrant visas are H1B visas for skilled professional workers, E visas for foreign investors, and B visas for tourist and business travel to the US. When the time is expired you must return to your country.

On the other hand, an Immigrant Visa, allows you to live and work in the US indefinitely as a permanent resident and allows you to obtain residency for your accompanying spouse and children as well. Some green cards are subject to annual quotas.

Those who have been persecuted in their home country like Cuban, Venezuelan or Columbian nationals may apply for asylum or refugee permanent resident status.

Definitions of Terms

US Immigration Forms Temporary Visas

B-1/B-2 Tourist / Visitor Visas Available to all visitors coming to the U.S for business or pleasure. B-1 business visitor visas are for a short duration and must not involve local employment.

E-1/E-2 Treaty and Investor Visas
Investors and traders and their employees may receive visas to carry on their businesses in the US if their home country has a commercial treaty with the US conferring visa eligibility.

F-1 and M-1 Student Visas
Persons seeking to pursue a full course of study at a school in the United States may be eligible for a visa for the course of their study plus, in some cases, a period for practical training in their field of study. The F-1 student visa is issued to students that wish to study academic programs and also for students in language training programs. The M-1 student visa is for students that wish to study vocational or other non academic programs.

H-1B Specialty Occupation Visas for Professionals
Professional workers with at least a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent work experience) may be eligible for a non-immigrant visa if their employers can demonstrate that they are to be paid at least the prevailing wage for the position.

J-1 and Q-1 Exchange Visitor Visas
Persons coming to the US in an approved exchange program may be eligible for the J-1 Exchange Visitor's visa. J-1 programs often cover students, short-term scholars, business trainees, teachers, professors and research scholars, specialists, international visitors, government visitors, camp counselors and au pairs.

K-1 Fiance(e) Visas
A Fiance(e) of a US citizen is eligible for a non-immigrant visa conditioned on the conclusion of the marriage within 90 days after arrival. There are many intricate details to this Immigration Visa that not every immigration attorney may know about. Some individuals attempt to apply without the assistance of a qualified Immigration Lawyer. We can help.

L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visas
L-1 visas are available to executives, managers and specialized knowledge employees transferring to their employer's U.S. affiliate. Executives and managers holding L-1 visas may be eligible for permanent residency without the need of a labor certification.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas
The O-1 category is set aside for foreign nationals with extraordinary ability. This includes entertainers, athletes, scientists, and businesspersons.

P-1 Artists and Athletes Visas
This category covers athletes, artists and entertainers. This visa applies to an alien coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance.

P-1 Entertainment Group Visa
This category applies to an alien coming temporarily to perform as a member of a foreign-based entertainment group that has been recognized internationally as outstanding in the discipline for a sustained and substantial period of time. The alien must have a "sustained and substantial" relationship with the group (ordinarily for at least one year according to the latest case law) and/or provide functions integral to the group's performance. Accordingly, the case law and statutes has stated, that one way to establish the criteria of "internationally recognized level of performance" is a receipt, nomination or significant international award in the specialized area of performance.

R-1 Religious Worker Visas
Religious workers may be eligible for an R-1 visa. Please call our office to discuss this US Immigration issues in further detail.

TC and TN NAFTA and US-Canada Free Trade Agreement Visas
A special visa category has been set up for nationals of Canada and Mexico under the provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement and the U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement. This is a highly complex and detailed area of US Immigration Law. If this is the visa you are seeking call our office for more detail on how and when to apply for admission to the US.

Permanent Residency Visas ("Green Cards")

Green Card Lottery (Diversity Visa Lottery Program) Applications
This Immigration program allows 50,000 visas to be distributed annually to immigrants from countries that have a low rate of immigration to the United States of America. The US State Department's National Visa Center chooses winners randomly from all participating countries. Anyone that wins the visa lottery has the opportunity to apply for permanent residence in the United States. If the permanent residence is approved, the applicant will be permitted to live and work permanently in the country. Winners of the visa lottery are allowed to come to the United States with their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21. WARNING: Do not be fooled by individuals stating they can guarantee you get a green card through this manner. Hire a reputable immigration lawyer or firm to explain in detail how the system works.

The green card visa lottery has two eligibility requirements:

  1. The applicant must be born in an eligible country OR have parents born in eligible countries and were not occupants of the applicant's country of birth, when he/she was born. For example, if a child's parents worked in an ineligible country on a temporary basis, the child may still be eligible for the lottery.
  2. The applicant must hold a high school education or its equivalent OR The applicant must have 2 years work experience in a job requiring at least 2 years training or experience. Source:

Family Sponsored Immigration Visas
U.S. citizens may petition for spouses, parents, children and siblings. Permanent residents may petition for spouses and children.

Employer-Sponsored Immigrant Visas
The new PERM process allows qualified professionals to obtain an immigrant visa. You will need a United States Employer that is willing to sponsor you to obtain this type of visa.

Refugee and Asylum Applications
Persons with a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion may be eligible to apply for asylum or refugee status in the U.S.

Temporary Protected Status
Granted to individuals from selected countries which the U.S. currently recognizes as unsafe. Allows individuals to remain in the U.S. for the duration of their status. Subject to a periodic USCIS review. Does not lead to a visa.

We can help you and your business navigate effectively through the maze of immigration and nationally laws facing employers today. Our goal is to make sure you are able to hire and place employees with specialized skills your company needs in the appropriate office or geographic area.

Call us at 888-264-3652 or 954.523.7774 or contact us online for a free consultation to discuss your immigration law issues or questions.