18 U.S.C. § 1344 (2005)
It is unlawful:
- to defraud a financial institution; 18 U.S.C. § 1344(1) (2005), or
- to obtain any of the moneys, funds, credits, assets, securities, or other property owned by, or under the custody or control of, a financial institution, by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises; id. § 1344 (2005).
The punishment for a violation of section 1344 is
- a fine of not more than $ 1,000,000,
- imprisonment for not more than 30 years,
- or both. Id. § 1344 (2005).